Friday, January 8, 2010

2010...hmmm

Hello Blogworld - No doubt, the seven of you who kindly read my blog have missed me desperately. 8)

You know what's annoying? When the cup-holder in your car clings to your coffee cup just long enough to leave its proper place. It then proceeds to let go just in time to dump all of your change on the floorboard. Irritating.

At the end of 2008, I went to a New Years Eve Party with a bunch of friends. We ate, drank, and were merry. It was awesome. Later that night, we migrated about three blocks over to the JAM house - former home (and Nashville's newest tourist attraction), of the famous HootenAnnie Parsons. Enjoying an appropriate level of inebriation, and thus in the best of moods, I sought out my good friend Seth. Seth had seen some trying times in 2008, but I had a feeling about him that night. I pulled him aside and proceeded to tell him this:

"Seth, I don't know why, but I think this is your year. Yes, you're due. This is your year." Then I confidently and brazenly announced it to everybody else, perhaps a bit to Seth's embarrassment.

Later that night...or later that morning, I guess...we confiscated Seth's cell phone and texted everybody in his phone book saying, "Hey guys, it's my year!!!" Perhaps even more to Seth's embarrassment.

Well, 2009 progressed and the prophesy slipped my mind until Seth took me aside at a Christmas party about a month ago to tell me that I was right. "About what?" I asked him. "Turns out this was my year after all," he replied to me. I needn't go into detail, but I'll just say that Seth had a pretty good (and well-deserved) third and fourth quarter of 2009. Though I really had naught to do with it, it still made me feel good and happy for him, and they began to encourage me to give 2010 to somebody. Some suggested I should give it to myself, at which I chuckled and assured them was quite simply impossible.

Well, true to form, I forgot to give it to somebody, when in the wee hours of the morning on January 1, 2010, I received a text from my buddy Aman exclaiming something to the effect of what I'd told Seth a year ago almost to the minute. Weird. Later that night, I also received a text from Seth's cell phone saying, "It's totally my year yall!" It seems the confiscation of and blanket texting from Seth's cell phone on NYE has become a tradition...and a good one. 8)

Anyway, all that to say that though I'm a natural skeptic, rather untrusting, and not one for getting my hopes up, I think I have a good feeling about this year. (Thanks Aman!) Starting 01-01-10, I felt the very foundations of my life begin to shift. It seems I may be in for a wild ride in 2010, and I haven't the slightest idea of that what could mean. I guess we'll see.

Happy New Year, Friends!

hg

2 comments:

  1. So let it be written! So let it be done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie and I wanted to keep the tradition going. :)

    ReplyDelete