Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Point of No Return

Busted - or not...
OK, honestly...did you just find yourself singing the Kansas song "Point of No Return" when you read that?!? Maybe I'm the only one who remembers that song. Whatever.

The 1/2 Marathon

Well, I've done it. I've officially signed up for my first 1/2 marathon, The "Tom King Classic," which I will be running this Saturday. The money is non-refundable, and I don't waste money, so I'm doing it!

I'm pretty excited and just a little nervous as you might imagine. I've actually been training for the Country Music 1/2 Marathon, which isn't for another month and a half or so, but for some reason, I felt like I wanted to run this one too, and here are some reasons why:
  • more casual...less pressure.
  • an opportunity to feel out a 1/2 marathon before I run the one "that counts" next month.
  • It was only like $45
  • You get a medal
  • You get to finish on the Jumbo-tron in the TN Titans stadium
  • You get a nice technical/running shirt...I've recently fallen in love w/ these shirts...OK, this is actually reason number 1. I'm fickle, I know.
My Feelings
I'm probably not as nervous as I'm sure a lot of first-timers are. I've already run this distance many times, over much worse terrain, and running it with a group of racers will make it easier. I was a pretty high-stakes hurdler in high school, so I'm familiar w/ racing tension...albeit I'm a bit rusty. Plus, I'm not trying to max out. I just want to finish respectably (and collect that sweet tech shirt...yessssss).

I am a little nervous about going out too quickly and wearing the appropriate clothing so I'm not too hot/cold...It's supposed to be around 50 with showers on Saturday. I'm still trying to get over a cold. My knees are also somewhat unreliable, so I'm hoping they behave themselves...especially in light of the less-than-helpful, projected barometric pressure.

In other news:
My washing machine crapped out yesterday. Seeing as I got it for free and will need a front load washer if I buy this other house, I figured I'd just bite the bullet and get a new washer. I got a pretty good deal on a nice Whirlpool front loader which was still far more than I'd hoped to spend this week...but it's so cool. It's energy efficient, it actually looks nice, and you can watch the wash cycle...I'd have spent the evening doing that had I not had company. Maybe tonight...

4 comments:

  1. New washing machine? Be still my heart! I'm going to come over and look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can save money on cable now and just watch your laundry. They are rather memorizing... that and a fish tank and you'll never leave your house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the half! For being your first one, you ROCKED it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a FRONT LOADER - SOO-WEET i don't even have one of those. "hm-m-m, wonder what it would take to bust the old one. I know - i'll call HANDYGRAHAM!!"

    ReplyDelete